When the canal closed in 1849 the section from just east of Alton Lock through to the far end of Alton Station was completely remodelled to make way for the railway. The position of the lock is the first indication of the line of the canal to the east of the tunnel. It can be seen on the hillside, indicated by the change of ground levels.
Recent explorations have revealed that some of the stonework at the top end of the lock remains. No further exploration is planned at present